Monday, August 1, 2011

Introducing Ares

I know I have had our new puppy for just over 4 days now and I have not blogged about him, but I wanted to get to know him a little bit before I posted.

I will still go chronologically a little bit.

I picked him up at the cargo area at the airport on Thursday afternoon. He was awake when his kennel arrived at the cargo and excited to see me. I brought him outside and let him out so he could do his business before we drove him.

When I got home, my roommates were waiting to meet him. We all played with him outside while he explored.

He is so much like Freya. He lays around in all sorts of positions.

He is such a cuddlebug! When you hold him, he will kind of grab onto you with his paws when you hold him and he nuzzles right into you.

I hung out until my mom got to my house and had a chance to meet him.

Then we went over to the park to meet Freya and Dylan. We decided to take this approach so that they could meet on neutral ground. We did this for Freya's sake in case she felt put out. That was not the case. She absolutely loves him. He was overwhelmed by her when they first met since she was just so excited about a puppy.

They started playing once we got back home. Pretty much they have been on a play and then rest, play and then rest cycle ever since.

Freya plays really well with him overall, but she has a tendency to run him over a little bit. She has been much better recently. I think they will get along just perfect :)


He has been a really mellow puppy. He is plenty active, but he is content to do whatever. He lays down wherever.

In the flowers

On the vents

Everywhere.

Super cute.

In terms of potty training, it is going pretty well. Obviously we were able to watch him the first 4 days, but we have been pushing the doggie door really well. He knows he wants to potty outside. For example, when he wakes up, he whines/barks until we pick him up and then first thing he does outside is go potty.

He will go back inside all by himself now. He doesn't want to go outside on his own and he generally won't go down the doggie stairs without incentive. I think he will be there soon though.

He is still a puppy and therefore a pest at times. He chews everything (obviously not a surprise, but I forget how bad it is when Freya has been good for almost a year!) and he only sleeps for a couple hours. This means I have been getting up at 5am every day, eww. This will be less of an issue when he is potty trained.

We went to the vet on Friday and his check up went really well! He is 10.4 pounds already! I think Freya was 7, maybe 8, when we got her, so he is definitely bigger. He is super healthy and he will get his next set of shots in about 2 and a half weeks. We will take Freya in at the same time to get updated on some of her shots.

I took him over to my parents house to meet their dogs. He was kind of weirded out by dogs that don't look like him. Duke loved him (in a more mellow way than Freya) but Kisaki was a little wary of him.



Obviously for the name we are going with Ares, the god of war. We wanted a god name since Freya is a goddess and even though Dylan really wanted Loki, I just wasn't feeling it. I think Ares will fit really well though.

More Adventures of Ares and Freya to come I am sure!

1 comment:

Everyone loves comments :) I appreciate your response and feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...