Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Still Daddy’s Little Girl

I was watching Father of the Bride last night. I had recorded it before the wedding and had wanted to watch it before, but I think I am actually glad that I watched it afterwards.
I have always been really close with my dad. I am definitely a daddy’s girl.
Watching the movie there are a lot of great phrases that made me think of how my dad may have felt about me growing up and getting married.
“You have a little girl. An adorable little girl who looks up to you and adores you in a way you could never have imagined. I remember how her little hand used to fit inside mine. Then comes the day when she wants to get her ears pierced, and wants you to drop her off a block before the movie theater. From that moment on you're in a constant panic. You worry about her meeting the wrong kind of guy, the kind of guy who only wants one thing, and you know exactly what that one thing is, because it's the same thing you wanted when you were their age. Then, you stop worrying about her meeting the wrong guy, and you worry about her meeting the right guy. That's the greatest fear of all, because, then you lose her.”
“Right then I realized, my day had passed. She'll always love me, of course, but not in the same way. I was no longer the man in my little girl's life.”

My dad didn’t cry at the ceremony. He said that when he left me at the altar and when I was reading my vows, I was so confident and happy that he knew he didn’t have anything to worry about.
In his toast, he said that he was so excited to have three kids now.
I think it has been a little hard on my dad to have me married and living in my own house and everything. Mostly I think he is just proud of me. Proud that I have made good decisions and of the person I have grown into under his guidance.  I think he is excited about all of the experiences I have had and will have in future.
He knows that I love talking to him and spending time with him. That is part of the reason our house is only 15 minutes away from him. I talk to him almost every day. Dylan and I usually hang out with my parents at least one night a week. I love my dad and thank him for helping me being the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone loves comments :) I appreciate your response and feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...