Sunday, April 10, 2011

LOTR

NERD ALERT!

I am such a nerd :) This last week Dylan and I have been watching the Lord of the Rings extended editions in the evenings (for those of you who are not nerds, each disk is about 2 hours). So I thought I would share some of my nerdiness with you all.

Allow me to provide a brief history of me and the Lord of the Rings. I have read the books about three times. One of those times was so that I could write my extended essay (a 3500-4000 word essay on a topic for the IB program in high school) on the Mythic Structure of The Lord of the Rings. So I spent 7 months studying the books and books on mythic structure (Joseph Campbell rocks!).

Before, during and after that my sister and I have watched the movies, a lot. By a lot I mean that I have seen each movie at least 50 times, at least. I didn't finish the books until after the first movie was in theaters, but I saw the others two movies in theaters (only once I believe). Then it would come out on DVD and we would buy that. Then the Extended Edition would come out and we would buy that. Even after the first film and we knew the extended editions were going to come out 5 months later, we still bought the regular version.

We can almost entirely quote the movies. (This makes it really annoying for other people to watch with us) We have watched all of the extra documentaries and seen the movies with the commentaries with the cast and directors. We have all the soundtracks. We have had posters and necklaces from the series. We have played some of the video games. We have played non-alcoholic drinking games to the movies. We have made up our own songs and dances to parts of the films. We love it.

As I am watching this movies again with Dylan, it really does make me miss my sister, because although Dylan is nerdy as well, he just can't quote it the same as my sister and I. Goose and I have developed such a unique bond over such an amazing series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone loves comments :) I appreciate your response and feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...